Jan 16, 2008

Where are the kielbasa?


Okay, it's partly my fault. We had kielbasa for dinner, then ran out to piano lesson without cleaning up. I forgot all about those other two links until I saw the empty pan this morning. The likely culprit is pictured, but I'm sure he had help. Now the question is: where are the kielbasa? Were they successfully and fully consumed and retained? Were they eaten and ralfed back up? Are they rotting somewhere under the furniture?

I had a migraine visual aura tonight - this happens once in a while. This one had some color to it, more interesting than the usual black and white flickering zigzags. Maybe it's stress-related. I've been doing a lot of "why did I come into this room and what was I looking for?" lately. Sometimes I stop in the middle of a hallway to try to remember what my destination is and have to backtrack through my thoughts until I figure it out. I seem to have an unusual number of dates and deadlines to remember and paperwork to deal with lately. This will be my Year of Paperwork, it appears.

At work I have to keep track of not only myself, but two college kids - keep them busy and productive, plan their days, troubleshoot their problems, hand them what they need, smack them gently with a rolled up newspaper when they screw up. But one will be going back to school next week and the other is better trained, so that will be easier.

Then there's the Talent Show - had to get the kid to the audition, now gotta get him to dress rehearsal and the show itself.

Then there's the Private School Follies. This week I had to follow up with the math teacher and the science teacher for the recommendations they were supposed to get in by Tuesday, and then find fax numbers and give them to the math teacher because he still hadn't sent them out by Monday. And contact the main office and see if they got the transcripts and recommendations out on time. They went out Friday, no idea if they got in on time. Now we have another tour and interview tomorrow, but it's at 10:45am so there's not much point sending the kid to school or getting him back, so he'll be home before and come to work with me after. Had to iron a shirt tonight so he looks presentable. Still have to make a copy of my 2006 1040 form for tomorrow's school. Not due until mid-Feb, but I might as well give it to them tomorrow.

Had to sign the contract and send in a check to the crawlspace contractor. Turns out something I thought was included in the price was not, will be extra, but is necessary. Sigh.

Divorce - finally got him to remember to sign the papers for the settlement agreement and get his lawyer to get moving. In the meantime I'm looking into what paperwork there will be to get my 401k and pension split. And choose who does it out of several options. Nothing is ever straightforward, is it?

FAFSA - still haven't filled out the college financial aid form, but I did download it so I can at least make sure I have all the information it wants. However, the online option might not work with Safari. Guess I'll try it - I can always switch to Explorer (ewwww) if it doesn't work.

State Farm - lots of questions to answer about girl's accident and about the car, claim numbers, case numbers. They sent a form wanting to know how and where it is driven and parked, how many miles per year, etc. This kid has already put 7000 miles on the car in 4 months! She says it's just lots of driving around here, but jeez. Well, that might slow down soon - if she doesn't pass and get credit for her English class, it's going to be just for work and school, with the threat of taking it away entirely. I want to take it away, but I'm not sure I can stand driving her around again.

I walk around with lists of calls I need to make and things I need to do in my pocket. Phew. No wonder I'm addled.

I made some decent muffins tonight with the mashed butternut squash I finally cooked and some (lots of) pecans with cinnamon. A little weird in texture, but not bad as gluten-free goes. I was thinking of foods I miss - there are not too many, but one I really want is tomato soup the way Grandmommy made it - with a lump of butter melted in it and milk. I can't have Campbell's soup, but Heinz, imported from England, makes a gluten-free cream of tomato soup that tastes nearly the same. But I have no substitute for saltine crackers, so what's the point of tomato soup? And I really want to butter those crackers with real butter and dump them in the soup. I had leftover sauerkraut and mashed potato for dinner, with an Oscar Mayer weiner cut up to go with it. Remember that combo? Do you remember me making you pretend it was ice cream with sprinkles and a cherry on top?

It's late - time for bed. Hope your lists are shorter than mine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet cat! Love it!
Hey, I was thinking about Lauren and wondering if you had given any thought to after HS alternatives. We have a program here called City Year, where participants spend a year working for the city and get a lot of mentoring, activities, etc. There's also Job Corps. It might be an interesting, doable alternative to going to college right away or working minimum wage. Just a thought. Love the posts.