Apr 20, 2008

Finally, an update!

I didn't realize it had been so long since my last update. I wrote plenty of updates in my head, but never got them on here.

I have been having attendance problems with both kids, oddly enough. I'm used to the girl getting herself in attendance trouble due to strolling in late or cutting class (and she is already at her limit for this term), but I got a nasty letter about the boy - apparently he has been out 10 times or more, and state law says they can take legal action against me, etc. WTF? Apparently the middle school counts absences for the whole year, unlike the high school which resets the clock with a new semester, and apparently parents' notes don't mean dick in their eyes to excuse an absence. So although all of his were legitimate illnesses (although I might have called him in sick when we went to private school interviews), none of them are excused without a doctor's note. I sent in a note to the school and got a call from some inflexible tight-ass woman. After all, it's written in the school handbook which everyone receives at the beginning of the year (and promptly forgets). No matter that it's a self-limiting fever or bout of nausea which doesn't require a doctor's consultation. No matter that I call it in in the morning and send in a note afterward. Doesn't matter that the kid's an A student and makes up all his homework. Nope, gotta be a doctor's note and has to be in within 10 days of the return to school (is that 10 school days or 10 real days?). I'm a bad parent for letting him be sick without an excuse. Fortunately I had just asked for some notes to cover 4 days since I thought we might have had too many, so I think he's back under the limit if they don't get fussy about the 10 days. Problem is he has been having a day or two of nausea and vomiting every two or three weeks this year, not to mention the two days of what was probably mono. I have no idea why - it seems to be genuine and not a way of getting out of anything or avoiding school, but now if it happens again I have to call the doctor's office for phone triage and a note. And since I had to get all those days excused so daughter didn't fail her last semester, they won't give me a retroactive note anymore. I have to call on the day of the illness so they can record it. I can't blame them, but it's damned annoying. And so is that semi-regular vomiting. I'm waiting for a call back from the doctor on ideas about that.

Almost had the divorce - the court mistakenly set up an appearance date although we had specified we wanted to do it by paperwork without an appearance. I had to call and rattle a few cages since they weren't getting back to my lawyer about correcting it, but they finally did. No appearance, but no divorce yet either. Should have gone for the appearance. It takes longer by paperwork, probably because it doesn't get scheduled and the judge just gets to it when he has nothing better to do.

Speaking of nearly-ex, he spent the last week in upstate New York helping his girlfriend pack up to move in with him. He didn't tell me that, of course, coward that he is, but the boy guilelessly tells me everything. I don't care what he does as long as it doesn't hurt the kids. She's his friend from high school (+ 50 pounds), and is a doctor, so I'm not sure if she's got a job around here. But she has an X-Box, so she's all right by the boy. She is a smart person, although apparently not much of a judge of character. Good luck to her - I'll bet she has no idea how thoroughly self-absorbed he is. And it was very satisfying to hear how crowded his apartment is now with her stuff as well as his. He sent word through the boy that he has a VHS tape player now (hers) so he wants his tapes that he didn't take before. He says I'll know which ones are his. Yeah, I'll put that at the top of my to-do list, sort out his tapes. I already threw out all the crap he left behind and dragged half of it to a flea market (instead of giving her cash toward a car, he told the girl she could sell his stuff and keep the money, thus letting us do all the work. Big of him.), so why wouldn't I want to do more work for him? Sure, I'll get right on that. He still gets plenty of mail here, so I started going online whenever I can find a website and getting him removed from all the catalog mailing lists. Golf magazines are next. He took a little concrete gorilla statue that has been outside the house for years (an alternative to a garden gnome), but didn't tell me so I thought it was stolen (who would steal it? Ask a teenager). Boy was supposed to tell me. Again, too cowardly to tell me himself.

Have you seen the newest Rice Chex boxes? Now they're gluten-free! So exciting! I made a batch of Chex mix and it was glorious.

I hope the weather is as nice where you are as it is here. Went out today and dug and sawed and chopped. I mowed for the first time last weekend, and parts of it just keep growing while other grasses are not up yet, so the lawn is very patchy. I sawed partway through a sapling that was growing in the wrong place, but it was taking too long so I got out my hatchet and finished the job, especially once I found my sharpening stone and put an edge on it. I feel muy macho! I started seedlings in peat pots, which the cat will probably find and destroy. I planted sweet peas outside - it's too cold yet for the rest. I want to plant some climbing flowering things around the fence posts that remain strongly rooted although the fence came down last year (or was it even earlier?), but I have mom's black thumb, so I'm not very hopeful. There is a wild rose bush that suddenly died a few years back (I think someone poisoned it because it scratched him when he mowed, but of course he would never admit it), but then new shoots came from it, so now it climbs way up into the mulberry tree and blooms like crazy. That and the mulberry tree are volunteers, as are the rose of sharon that sprang up where the fence used to be, the honeysuckle, and the trumpet vine that helped destroy the fence. It would be nice if my climbing flowering annuals grow and then don't take over the back yard, but we'll see what happens.

For some reason I thought of Helen and Merton and their Jesus Tourette's recently. Are they still alive? I remember conversations with them: Please pass the turkey - here, praise Jesus. Nice sunset - yes, like the face of Jesus looking down at us. Your tire is flat - Jesus wept. Never heard so many ways to get one word into every sentence.

No comments: